Something very big’s missing this morning from BBC Scotland headlines. The Herald and the Scotsman are playing it quietly too.
What is it? It’s this:
An incredibly damning report that lays thousands of unnecessary deaths at the door of No 10 and the Conservative Government, along with its SAGE advisers.
BBC UK and England have it:
BBC Scotland staff are working hard, right now, with opposition politicians, to construct a narrative that draws the Scottish Government in to share the blame so, quickly:
- The devolution of the law enabling Scotland to control pandemic measures took place at the very end of March 2020, by which time the virus was everywhere. The Scottish Senior Medical Officer had very limited access to SAGE decision-making.
- Scotland had no say in furlough arrangements and was not allowed to borrow to save businesses or support those in need.
- The Scottish Government’s measures, over the pandemic have resulted in the lowest infection rate in the UK and the second-lowest death rate, after Northern Ireland, and around 30% lower than in England.
- The Scottish Government’s determination to vaccinate all care home residents before all other groups, following the JCVI guidelines unlike England, led to far fewer deaths
- The attempt again to blame care home deaths on hospital discharges has now been rejected by at least 5 research studies which have then attributed them to larger corporate homes, their overcrowding and reliance on agency staff.
I can reference the evidence for all of the above.