This morning, I compared the short inserts into BBC Breakfast from BBC Scotland and BBC Wales. I’ll be repeating this exercise for a longer block with a view to a more reliable quantitative comparison.
Today, the differing cultures could not be clearer (data below).
BBC Scotland led off with ‘A national day of volunteering is taking place across the country‘ against extended images of the King and Queen on the balcony while BBC Wales left the story to third-place, said ‘People across Wales are being encouraged to volunteer on the extra Coronation bank holiday‘ and only used images and voices of volunteers.
Note the different language and imagery.
BBC Scotland then had: ‘Humza Yousaf has been accused of negligence after it was revealed a key pledge to recruit an additional 1 000 mental health specialists has been delayed, Ministers confirmed to Scottish Labour the key promise that every GP practice would have access to a mental health and well-being service by 2026 has not yet commenced due to difficult decision set out in November’s emergency budget review.’
Note the language, the demonising of the SNP FM and the platforming of Labour. BBC Wales had no reports of this kind. Note that the target is for 2026, three years away.
This is, of course only one day. I’ll be watching and counting.
BBC Scotland then had two further negative reports, somewhat contradictory, platforming opposition to low emission zones before linking outdoor activities to environmental harm.
Overall BBC Scotland had three negative reports suggesting division and problems in Scotland and one linking positive events to the presence of a monarchy.
BBC Wales had two negative reports but neither politicised and two positive ones linked to the monarchy but without images of the ceremony.
Only one day but lets see if BBC Wales ever reports ‘Mark Drakeford accused!‘
Research BBC Wales/Scotland
Data: M 8/6/23
- A national day of volunteering is taking place across the country (extended images of Coronation but none of volunteers)
- Humza Yousaf has been accused of negligence after it was revealed a key pledge to recruit an additional 1 000 mental health specialists has been delayed, Ministers confirmed to Scottish Labour the key promise that every GP practice would have access to a mental health and well-being service by 2026 has not yet commenced due to difficult decision set out in November’s emergency budget review.
- Elsewhere, Scotland’s first low emissions zone will come into full effect at the end of this month in Glasgow aiming to improved air quality. Unite union rep allowed to predict mass exodus of taxis in a years time with no response.
- People who take part in outdoor activities like mountain biking, watersports and camping are being urged to think about the potential impact on the environment.
- Police investigating a domestic incident – no politicising
- Out of town shops should face extra charges to support the high street according to council leader – no politicising, no part mentioned
- People across Wales are being encouraged to volunteer on the extra Coronation bank holiday (images of interview with volunteers – no images of Coronation)
- Welsh voices were among those leading the celebrations for King Charles’ coronation last night ( excerpt from singing, no images of King or Queen)
7 thoughts on “‘Humza Yousaf accused!’ Research begins into BBC Scotland and BBC Wales’s different cultures”
I think it may just be as simple as the British state broadcaster supporting whichever British political party in the non English nations has the best chance of seeing off separation from England.
Naked propaganda here in Scotland because the British political parties are in a minority, except of course when they act in concert.
LikeLiked by 2 people
Great initiative, we all know of course, that is us who support independence, that the BBC Scotland variety takes its lead from Orwell’s 1984, Ministry of Truth, which it is anything but!
LikeLiked by 3 people
I said just the other day to a friend when was the last time he heard BBC Scotland report on a good story about Scotland and the SG……his answer because they SNP never do good things to report needless to say he is a Unionist but come time I WILL convince him otherwise wish me luck.
LikeLiked by 4 people
I suppose we should be grateful Neil Mackay doesn’t work for them, else there’d be a ‘breaking news’ report of armed police surrounding an SNP extremist seen carrying a fully loaded long range Minolta….
LikeLiked by 2 people
Surely the #1 headline, on BBC Breakfast from BBC Scotland this morning, will be the kaleidoscope dress worn by the newsreader?
LikeLiked by 1 person
Low neck line as well? It’s a good distraction from the BBC lies.
LikeLiked by 2 people
Keep up the good work! Love your insights and really appreciate what you are doing!