According to the experts, we can be ‘confident’ that more that 70% of people (across the UK) are not staying at home for the full period after displaying symptoms of Covid.
The experts don’t seem to have noticed that the infection rate in Scotland is currently well below half that in England and only around two thirds of that in Wales and Northern Ireland, suggesting that maybe the compliance is better here. I’ve asked the researchers for a 4 nations breakdown of the their data but expect to hear that it’s somehow not available or ‘useful.’
Anyhow, this focus on the self-isolation failures is only a part of the story.
Now, those who had the symptoms and who were not prevented from self-isolating due to family and economic pressures, that is to say those who easily could have, but who selfishly didn’t, share responsibility for the surge in deaths in the second wave.
However, this focus on the general population is classic scapegoating, by elites, of those less powerful. The Wuhan blame game is a classic example. Did the virus originate in a research centre, in industrial-scale farming or in the ‘wet markets’ used by the poor? The latter were quickly blamed and the global media piled in with images of peasant tastes, to reinforce Western conclusions with disgust. I don’t know the answer but given their history, I’d go for industrial-scale farming. We won’t find out of course because powerful interests will be protected.
Something similar operates with this allocation of blame to those who have not self-isolated.
It’s worth noting that the experts ‘confidence’ above is based on self-reporting surveys. They do not actually ‘know’ that 70% did not self-isolate adequately.
Anyhow, getting far less attention than it should, is the catastrophic failure of the UK Government to protect its people by controlling its borders and in pressurising the devolved authorities not to control internal borders.
80% of all Scottish second-wave infections came from Spain with the other 20% in those returning from holiday in England or coming from England to holiday across Scotland.
This failure was due to the Conservative Party’s weakness in allowing business and corporate interests to determine policy, from the slow initial lockdown, to the current struggle, nearly a year late, to control international air traffic.